It was built during the reign of Mughal emperor Shah Jahan.The mosque was built in 1647, during the reign of Mughal King Shah Jahan, as a gift to the people of Sindh for their hospitality. It has been on the tentative UNESCO World Heritage list since 1993.The mosque is built with red bricks with blue coloured glaze tiles probably imported from the town of Haala, Sindh. It has a total of 93 domes. It was built keeping acoustics in mind. A person speaking on one end of the dome can be heard from the other end when the speech exceeds 100 decibels.