Derawar Fort is a large square fortress in Bahawalpur, Punjab, Pakistan. The forty bastions of Derawar are visible for many miles in Cholistan Desert. The walls have a circumference of 1500 metres and stand up to thirty metres high. Derawar fort was built by Rai Jajja Bhatti. a Rajput ruler of Bhatti clan. The fort was built in 9th century AD as a tribute to Rawal Deoraj Bhatti, a Rajput sovereign King of Jaisalmer and Bahawalpur area who had his capital at Lodhruva. Initially, the fort was known as Dera Rawal, later it was termed as Dera Rawar and with the passage of time it turned to be Derawar, the present name of fort. In 18th century, the fort slipped from the hand of Bhattis and Muslim Nawabs of Bahawalpur from the SHAHOTRA tribe took over it, the fort was later renovated by Abbasi rulers. In 1747, the fort slipped from the hands of the Abbasis owing to Bahawal Khan's preoccupations at Shikarpur. Nawab Mubarak Khan took the stronghold back in 1804.
The historic Derawar Fort, enormous and impressive structure in the heart of Cholistan desert, is rapidly crumbling and if the immediate preventative measures are not taken, the edifice will be destroyed and the historians, researchers and sightseers d it is the string for shabanu's, it also has a widseprived of the view of the legacy of the bygone era. Like so many other historic sites in the country, Derawar Fort is yet another sign of old times we are poised to lose forever due to the apathy of those who are responsible for its upkeep and preservation.